2nd Annual Taco Challenge: Saturday, June 17th
The second annual Taco Challenge is on Saturday, June 17th at ReSurfaced. Contact us if you'd like to become a 2017 event sponsor.
Interested in Participating? Find Additional Event Details & Entry Form Below:
The Slow Food Taco Challenge is a taco culinary competition to benefit Slow Food Bluegrass being held Saturday, June 17th, 2017 from 12:00-4:00pm at ReSurfaced: The Liberty Build. Each chef will prepare tacos and/or a dip with local food as their influence. A cash prize will be awarded to the winner in each of five categories, Best Taco ($500), Best Vegetarian Taco ($250) and Best Dip ($250). The judging will happen by “people’s choice.” The currency of the The Slow Food Taco Challenge will be tickets, and $3 will equal 1 ticket. For every ticket collected, SFB will reimburse the participating restaurant $1.50.
Pricing: Admission to the event will be free. Tastes will be sold for $3 per portion for all categories. All proceeds will be split equally with SFB. There are no additional fees for vendors.
The category winners will be awarded by attendees voting. Voting will be administered by ballot and each attendee will receive one ballot upon entry to the event. The winner of each of these categories will receive a $250-$500 cash prize.
Set Up and what will be provided:
- 10x10 vending space
- Ticket Collection Boxes
- Small chalk board with name of restaurant and farm
What you are responsible for providing:
- A temporary health permit to vend. Apply online at http://www.louisvilleky.gov or contact David Reed firstname.lastname@example.org
- 300-500 tastes of your competing dish, tacos should be “street”-size
- Other food to vend (optional)
- Napkins, Utensils and tasting serving containers
- Anything needed to cook and/or serve
- 10x10 pop up tent, tables, and menu board.
The event will take place at ReSurfaced: The Liberty Build at the corner of Liberty & Shelby Streets, just south of Nulu. ReSurfaced returns this year to continue its mission exploring creative ways to re-vitalize vacant and underutilized spaces by creating low-cost investments that activate the space for community engagement.
Preparing your dishes:
The mission of Slow Food Bluegrass is to promote good, clean, fair food. Because of this, we encourage entrants to use sustainably sourced ingredients and highlight local food items. All competing chefs are required to use, at minimum, one ingredient from a local farm in each dish they prepare; this ingredient can be protein or produce. Please note what local farm and their ingredients you will be using, as this will need to be included in your menus.
What do I get out of this?
- Publicity. We estimate an attendance of 1500, so this is a great opportunity to get your food in front of a lot of new mouths.
- 50% of all food sales. We understand that everyone has different recipes and different food costs. While we have determined the price for the competing samples ($3), you have total freedom to determine your sample portion to work within your food costs. Additionally, you may determine the prices and portions for the rest of your menu, keeping in mind the 50/50 split with SFB.
- The chance to win up to $1000 in cash prizes, and the glory of winning! What more could you ask for?
How do I sign up?
Just fill out the form below to secure a spot in The Slow Food Taco Challenge
Congratulations to our 2016 Taco Challenge Winners:
Best Overall Taco -- Missing Link Louisville
Best Vegetarian Taco -- Mayan Cafe
Best Dip -- Mayan Cafe
Best Dessert -- Wiltshire Pantry
The money raised at The Slow Food Taco Challenge goes towards our School Garden Grant Program where we donate funds to local school and community gardens that engage and educate children though hands on edible education. Slow Food Bluegrass is a local chapter of Slow Food International. Slow Food Bluegrass is dedicated to bringing all members of our community around one table to understand the value of good, clean and fair food.