Interested in Slow Food? Come work with us!
Part-Time Administrative Coordinator Position with Slow Food Bluegrass
The Organization: Slow Food Bluegrass is a local chapter of Slow Food International. We seek to carry out the mission of good, clean, and fair food for all, here in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky. Slow Food Bluegrass supports the activities and education of like-minded individuals, businesses, and organizations. Food is a part of our daily lives and is central to our culture and celebrations. Slow Food Bluegrass’ mission is to bringing all members of our community around one table to understand the value of good, clean and fair food.
The Role: We are seeking an organized and professional Board Liaison to provide excellent support to the Slow Food Bluegrass Board of Directors. This person will provide strong leadership for the chapter and be the community liaison and representative. Key responsibilities will include fundraising, coordination of events, overseeing the school garden grant program and chapter administrative duties.
The Right Fit (Competencies):
This position will report to the President of the Board of Directors and work closely with the School Garden, Event, Financial and Outreach committee chairs. Ideal candidates will demonstrate enthusiasm for the mission and goals of Slow Food Bluegrass, while representing good, clean, fair food and farming throughout the Louisville community.
The candidate must demonstrate the following characteristics:
• Possess a self-driven personality
• Demonstrate through past experiences of having attention to detail and being extremely organized
• Proficiency in outstanding event planning with the skills needed to produce successful celebrations
• Ability to recruit, maintain, and support the work of volunteers
• Provide creative insight and support to our programs
This is a wonderful opportunity for a person interested in supporting the Slow Food movement and interested in helping our local community thrive.
Major Areas of Responsibilities:
• Effectively and efficiently communicate externally and internally through email, verbally and through phone.
• Manage efficient office administration utilizing technology as appropriate.
• Manage and update Slow Food Bluegrass’ calendar and routine Board of Director’s communications.
• Manage Slow Food Bluegrass website, social media, and newsletter.
• Answer email inquiries from the public in a timely and accurate manner.
• Build community relationships and continue relationships with school garden grantees.
• Build rapport with the Board of Directors and have a hands-on, can-do, team attitude.
• Organize events and perform duties in a busy and possibly hectic environment during events.
• Understand and follow the Organization's By-Laws.
• Stay abreast of changes in the community as it relates to the mission of the nonprofit organization.
• Responsible for assisting the board in fundraising and developing resources necessary to support the organization’s mission.
• Identify opportunities for grants and participate in grant-writing applications.
• Manage and continue to develop ongoing programs such as Kid’s Clean Recipe Contest and School Garden Grant.
• For the Garden Grant program, actively engage with existing and prospective grantees.
• Maintain a relationship with the Board of Directors and committee members; Attend Board and Committee meetings and take notes. Provide regular communication, updates, insights, and innovation to streamline processes.
• Facilitate event planning meetings, track goals and celebrate accomplishments.
• Oversee and maintain “Friends” of Slow Food Bluegrass program.
• Computer-savvy; Slow Food Bluegrass currently uses Instagram, Facebook, Mail Chimp, Sign-up Genius, Squarespace and Wild Apricot membership software.
Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
• Ability to take direction and still show initiative
• Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, community networker, relationship builder, and collaborator
• Be assertive
• Be organized with attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to stay focused on the mission of the organization and provide objectivity to the Board of Directors and grantees
• Ability to strategically assist in organization effectiveness
• Above average skills in people skills, building relationships, listening and empathic understanding
• Demonstrated competence with basic finances and accounting accuracy
• Knowledge and experience with nonprofits and working with Boards
• Excellent time management skills
• BA Degree required or Associates Degree and commensurate experience considered
• 2-5 years of experience in the nonprofit environment
• Event planning, food, and farming experience a plus
• While performing these responsibilities, requirements include - to talk and hear, to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel, to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Lifting up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
• Must be 21 years of age and provide a valid driver's license.
This is a part-time position. Hours vary, and will include some day, evening and weekend work. Work will average 15 hours per week and varies seasonally.
Pay is between $13-$18/ hour depending on experience.
While performing the duties, it requires a remote office setting, local travel, occasional travel outside of Louisville, ability to operate computers and other office equipment.
Slow Food Bluegrass is an equal-opportunity employer.
To apply: Applicants must supply all of the following to email@example.com to be considered for a position with Slow Food Bluegrass:
• Cover Letter
• Three business references (Director, supervisor, and peer)